sca-cooks no potatoes!!!

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 10 16:59:21 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Clare said:
>
> >Try dumplings, herbed dumplings...onion dumplings.....sage
> >dumplings....when good they are very good in stews....they are pretty
> >tasty.
>
> Recipes? How do you make sure they are "good"?
>
> Or is this one of those things that most cooks just know how to do?
> Do I just drop biscuit dough into the soup or stew? As I said in the
> introduction, I'm still figuring out how to cook mundanely.
>
> These sound like they could be very tasty though I'm not sure about
> the texture.
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous

Try dropping bread dough rolled into balls, or shortcrust pastry. The
Scots had (and have) a thing called hodgils, where the balls are made
of, essentially, an oatcake mixture. Served with salt (corned) beef,
nowadays. Also check some of the modern Italian gnocchi recipes; some of
them are pretty close to what would have been made in period. Also there
are some period "bag puddings" that are made from an herbed batter,
sometimes very lightly sweetened, cooked in a cloth in with the stew,
and opened on the side of the serving platter. I've had great success
with these.

Adamantius