sca-cooks no potatoes!!!

Anne Oliver Anne_Oliver at lpl.org
Fri Apr 11 06:58:47 PDT 1997

sca-cooks at eden.com,Internet writes:

>> Clare said:
>>
>> >Try dumplings, herbed dumplings...onion dumplings.....sage
>> >dumplings....when good they are very good in stews....they are pretty
>> >tasty.
>>
>> Recipes? How do you make sure they are "good"?
>>
>> Or is this one of those things that most cooks just know how to do?
>> Do I just drop biscuit dough into the soup or stew? As I said in the
>> introduction, I'm still figuring out how to cook mundanely.
>>
>> These sound like they could be very tasty though I'm not sure about
>> the texture.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>   Stefan li Rous
>

>Try dropping bread dough rolled into balls, or shortcrust pastry. The
>
>Scots had (and have) a thing called hodgils, where the balls are made
>
>of, essentially, an oatcake mixture. Served with salt (corned) beef,
>
>nowadays. Also check some of the modern Italian gnocchi recipes; some of
>
>them are pretty close to what would have been made in period. Also there
>
>are some period "bag puddings" that are made from an herbed batter,
>
>sometimes very lightly sweetened, cooked in a cloth in with the stew,
>
>and opened on the side of the serving platter. I've had great success
>
>with these.
>
>Adamantius

Due to a mail problem I missed the original posting about potatoes and I was
just wondering how period are Jerusalem Artochokes (like pototoes) are. Now
mind you I am new to this so this could be something that everyone knows but
me.  I think they could be period in the 15th century based on what I know
about what the Jesuits that settled here where I live ate..am I right?
Liverpool Public Library - Liverpool NY - http://www.lpl.org/