sca-cooks fish

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 11 13:13:17 PDT 1997

Angelina Capozello wrote:

> Hmmm, here's a question, what did medieval fisherman and sailors eat?  We
> all know the later centuries of British naval fare (biscuit, salt beef or
> pork, peas, grog, etc.) Our Canton of Ivyeinrust is holding a sea
> collegium in the near future, and I'd like to help with the cooking.
> Any recipes for salt fish, etc., or sources where I can find recipes would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> Rafaela di Napoli

It seems likely that sailors would eat such fish as they either couldn't
sell or wouldn't keep well without extensive preparation. So, until
fairly recently, on the Mediterranean coast, sailors ate things like
bouilliabaise, traditionally made from a variety of fish, some rather
bony and/or fatty. The dish appears to be far older than the
comparatively recent addition of tomatoes might suggest. The rest of the
ingredients sound to me like a pretty classic medieval fish pottage:
olive oil, leeks, fennel, wine, oranges, mixed fish and saffron, served
on sops of toast.

Adamantius