SC - Wine allergies

Fiona Porteous bilby at rosebay.matra.com.au
Mon Apr 14 18:41:27 PDT 1997

>      Couldn't resist the discussion on this topic.  While I am not
>      sensitive myself, I have had several friends who have complained of
>      the headaches they receive from store-bought wines.
>      Now, before you start snickering about knowing the "real" reason for
>      their aches, consider the following.  A "hangover" does not: a) have
>      an onset of 15 minutes or less, b) normally come accompanied by
>      symptoms of hay fever or head cold, and c) punish you for drinking a
>      glass and a half of wine.

A memory's triggered.  Does not red wine, in particular, contain histamines
(are these the sulfides/sulfates/whatever)?  Which would trigger a hay-fever
response.  This could be helped and prevented, if such people insist on
drinking wines, by having some anti-histamines, or garlic and horseradish
tablets (well, works for me) beforehand.

Now I've remembered all this, I can probably get some information if anyone
wants, being a martyr to allergic rhinitis (ie hayfever) myself.  I don't
drink wine, however.  Mead, liqueurss (are they within the scope of this list
or should I go elsewhere for that?) and the like, yes.

Slightly off topic, sorry ...

Fyrean ...