SC - Re: sca-cooks SCA-ck Lard Preservation

Elizabeth Marsh elym at fla.net
Tue Apr 15 07:18:15 PDT 1997

Well the best modern example of keeping fowl in its own fat is duck confite
(confeet? confete?, spelling is not my forte') , which is essentially
cooked duck  covered completely in duck fat and refrigerated for many
months.  I would think the refrigeration is quite key.  But the fat keeps
out the air and the nasty things that it carries hence allowing for an
increased length of preservation.  Modern recipes should be readily
available in a french cookbook and would probably lend themselves to
adaptation.  (or if you watch the food channel David Rosengarten did a
really neat rendition of this)

Elena