SC - Wine allergies

Chuck Graves Chuck_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Tue Apr 15 08:54:34 PDT 1997

>A memory's triggered.  Does not red wine, in particular, contain histamines
>(are these the sulfides/sulfates/whatever)?  Which would trigger a hay-fever
>response.

You do bring up a good point.  I believe one of the other posters mentioned
that grapes have trace amounts of sulfites.  The manufacture of red wines
involves leaving the must in contact with the grape skins for a period of
time.  This would allow for a larger amount of trace chemicals to come into
the wine...if the grapes are themselves the source.  However, my friends have
complained equally of reds and whites.

>This could be helped and prevented, if such people insist on drinking wines,
>by having some anti-histamines,

Whoa...bad idea.  Antihistamines and alcohol should NOT be mixed.  See the
box for the warning.

>or garlic and horseradish tablets (well, works for me) beforehand.

Now, that's a new one.  I haven't heard of that before.

>Mead, liqueurss (are they within the scope of this list or should I go
>elsewhere for that?)

I certainly hope not.

     Tadhg