SC - Re: sca-cooks Re: Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 15 12:56:43 PDT 1997

At 16:13 10-4-97 +0000, Lenny Zimmermann wrote:

>Ask someone very used to eating blander British Pub foods and compare
>their answer to someone from a place like New Orleans, where we use a
>great deal and variety of spices, and you will probably receive two
>very different answers on what constitutes "heavy handed" spicing.
>Indeed, should we say that since folks from Southern Louisiana use a
>larger than "average" (in my experience) quantity and variety of
>spices that they also use those spices for covering the flavors of
>tainted foods? I can tell you their response would be "Of course not!
>We add spices to enhance and color the flavor, texture and visual
>appeal of our foods. After all, food is an art in itself for all the
>senses!"

Just to play devil's advocate....  I quite understand growing up using what
to some would be "heavy handed" spicing, but for what reason did this heavy
use of spice start?  It is now tradition, but what were the origins?  And
even if it weren't to cover the taste of meat going slightly "off", could it
have been because the wild vegetables and gamier meat had stronger basic
flavors which are balanced better by stronger spicing?
Just a thought.

Philippa

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net