SC - feast $

Judy Gerjuoy jaelle at access.digex.net
Wed Apr 16 06:35:08 PDT 1997

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Kathleen M Everitt wrote:

> We try not to make too much profit from events. After all we're a not for
> profit group. Just enough to cover expenses and front the next event is
> enough for the treasury and we usually get donations from demos that
> cover most of that. We have acquired over the last couple of years a

This is a common misunderstanding.  Being non for profit means you can't
give profits from things we do to individuals.  It does *not* mean you
can't make lots of money on an event.  Note: I am *not* saying you want to
or you should, just that it is legal.

After all, there are *very* large non for profits that make lots of money
on some or all of their dealings - ETS - Educational Testing Service which
does the SAT's among other stuff, is a good example.

Jaelle

jaelle at access.digex.net
If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely
challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn
between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world.
This makes it hard to plan the day. - E. B. White