SC - SC: Viking's Pies & Feast Themes

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 16 08:05:07 PDT 1997

> Now that I have some idea of what pies I can make in persona, does anyone
> have a recipe for a pie crust that is period?  All the ones I got handed
down
> are deffinetly modern, and the libraries around here seem not to have much
of
> anything from before the 1800's unless it is a broad history text.

Simple redaction from Markham (my favorite source -- he's so easy!!) --
Warning -- I tend to work in quantity:

5 lbs of white flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 lb of butter
Water

Mix the flour and salt together.  Cut in the butter (this is a recipe for meat
 coffins -- use more butter for fruit); this much butter won't create the
little dough balls.

Slowly mix in room temperature water.  I work by touch so I don't have any
idea how much I add; the amount changes with the ambient humidity. The dough
is done when it sticks together, but is not clammy.  It has a nice play-doughy
texture.

I prefer to use a pastry knife to cut in the butter and mix the early
additions of water.  Then I take off my rings and get my hands messy.  :-)

This recipe will make probably 10 pie shells, depending on how thin you want
them.  For meat pies, a 1/4 inch thick is good.

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/