SC - Food Poisening vs spicing

Robin Hackett robin.hackett at wadsworth.org
Wed Apr 16 11:04:47 PDT 1997

>From a post orginally by Lenny Zimmerman:

>Indeed, should we say that since folks from Southern Louisiana use a
>larger than "average" (in my experience) quantity and variety of
>spices that they also use those spices for covering the flavors of
>tainted foods? I can tell you their response would be "Of course not!
>We add spices to enhance and color the flavor, texture and visual
>appeal of our foods. After all, food is an art in itself for all the
>senses!"

Please don't think that spices were used to cover the flavor of tainted
foods!  Tainted means rotten or spoiled and if our ancestors regularly ate
spoiled food we wouldn't be here! Rather, remember that the Purdue's
weren't in business then.
What I mean is that meat was not bred and fed the way it is now (corn fed
chickens for example). The cows were older, the chickens were thinner, and
game taste depended on the vegetation they ate.

Leri

robin.hackett at wadsworth.org