SC - Outdoor feasts

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 16 10:30:58 PDT 1997

Robin Hackett wrote:

> Outdoor feasts are alot of fun! :) Last year at the Gilded Pearl event in
> Sterlynge Vale a few of us ran a tavern for lunch and for the experience of
> doing so. We started early in the morning making bread and cutting up 25
> lbs of onions for the sops. We spitted chickens and made a lombard beef
> bruet plus a fried beans & onions recipe from "700 years of English
> cooking". With premade pasties and fruit and cheese we were able to offer a
> good variety of food. The tavern was open for roughly three hours and each
> dish could serve ~50 people. When a dish ran out, it was taken "off the
> board". I wasn't in charge of drinks so all I remember is ginger drink and
> some sort of cider. It made me appreciate indoor kitchens when it started
> to rain!
>
> Leri
>
> robin.hackett at wadsworth.org

Yes, but by being outdoors you missed the spectacle of your humble
narrator wrapping towels around his arms and leaping headfirst into a
lit convection oven at the very same event. (There was a piece if foil
caught in the fan blades, and those ovens are too expensive for most SCA
groups to repair or replace if the motor should burn out.)

Needless to say, I survived, apart from permanent black crosshatching on
my face ;#).

Adamantius