SC - Re: spices

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 16 15:15:30 PDT 1997

At 03:47 10-4-97 +0000, Stefan wrote:
>Derdriu asks:
>
>> And, while we have spices and plants of the
>>same name today as they did then, which ones are different? Are there any
>>beyond Cinnamon/cassia and Cinnamon/ceylon, which, while sharing a name,
>>are quite different in flavor?
>
>Apparently there are different saffrons available today. This came
>up on the Rialto recently when someone gave a recipe that used 7
>tablespoons of saffron. Since I only knew of the Spanish saffron
>this seemed like a small fortune to me. Although we never got an
>answer from the original poster, some thought they must have been
>speaking of substitute safron. For instance:
>-----
>Yes, there is an "artificial", or rather a "substitute" saffron -
>the safflower, Carthamus tinctorius, was used in period as an adulterant
>for Crocus sativus.  It gives the same color, but no flavor, & is
>available for about $2.00 per ounce.  It is also called Mexican Saffron.
>    Cindy Renfrow
>-----
>
>Any other examples?
>
>    Stefan li Rous
>    markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Quoting from the Penzeys catalogue (Summer 1996 - I know I have a more
recent one, but gods only know where it is):

"Kashmir saffron has long been known to saffron lovers as the world's
premiere saffron, usually unavailable in this country.  Long, moist, dark
red strands.  Superior quality.  Spanish saffron is consistently good and
available.  10% yellow threads.  Spanish is usually less expensive than
Kashmir, but with weather troubles the price has risen, making Kashmir a
much better buy."

Their prices then were:

     Kashmir:  $6.95/1 g, $36.95/.25 oz
     Spanish:  $5.95/1 g, $31.95/.25 oz

Incidentally, they also offer both cassia (Chinese, Sumatran, or Vietnamese
- - the latter at approximately double the cost of the other two) and cinnamon.

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net