SC - Swan!

Bill Kecskes dyoung at deakin.edu.au
Thu Apr 17 10:21:56 PDT 1997

The Cheshire Cat wrote:

> How to make a swan look decent.........Well, you stuff them for one thing.
> Otherwise they cook up scrawnier than before, which is NOT a good look.
> The necks were a problem.  We thought about sticking wire, not period, but
> practical down it to support it, but the weight of the head was almost too
> much.  We ended up cooking it with the neck sort of curled into a
> manageable position and thenstraightened it out a bit.

We did a goose last year for the Stormhold Winter feast. To get the neck
to stand up we placed two wooden skewers down both sides.   This held
the neck nice and stright.

> (Hindsight, arrange
> it first)  The most practical idea was to coat it with marchepane (don't
> know if I spelt it right, but cooked swan doesn't like being co-operative
> with feastocrats.  We ended up serving the neck curled around the body when
> the wire finally decided that it wanted to bend.  and didn't do much else.

It was then part cooked until the juice almost was clear.  A coating of
pastry was then applied.  A head was then made out of pastry and placed
on top of the neck.  Feathers were carved into the pastry, then back
into the over to finish cooking.

After it was cooked the skewers were removed and the pastry keeped the
neck upright.  It was then served forth as a 'Golden Goose'.

- - Will de Ness.

Will de Ness.
Stormhold,  Lochac.

These are my thoughts, not that of my household.