SC - Scottish Recipes

Fri Apr 18 09:48:49 PDT 1997

  In some of my older German recipe books, an ingredient is called for that
  translates as 'hartshorn'.  It is used in place of baking powder.  Is
  there a zoologist out there who could tell us if grated deer antlers
  would perform like baking powder or soda?  If so, we could use the modern
  substitute for health reasons.

If I recall correctly, hartshorn is an ammoniated equivalent to baking
powder, still available in England, and which produces a slightly different
flavor and texture.

	Tibor