SC - Re: Arme Ritter

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Fri Apr 18 12:03:41 PDT 1997

Hi Ananda,

Are you *my* Ananda in Harrisburg?

The name comes from modern German cookbooks, but the practice was taught
me by my son's German in-laws.  The families became close--that's how the
kids met and married.  They are supportive of my desire to trace down the
history of some of the foods, and to find and translate receiptes.  They
use thick, handcut slices of good bread, and dip them into finely grated
crumbs before frying them.  They are served with fried apple slices, or
with the apfelmuss.  (That double s should be a German character)  They
are more likely to sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before serving, I
frequently put nutmeg into the egg mixture, because that's the way I like
it.  The idea was that the poorest knights might be able to eat an
egg--stretched--put couldn't afford to kill the chicken!  I suppose, if
your were a poor knight out on campaign, you could find an egg, some
bread, and whatever the local orchard had on the tree.

It can also be found in _Wie man eyn teutsches Mannsbild bey Krafften
halt_.  by H. Jurgen Fahrenkamp.  This is a book that's probably
something like To A King's Taste--I forget.  It has modern redactions, in
German, by an author who has taken them from a variety of sources.  He
doesn't give the originals.  This dish he gives another name, saying it's
a fantasy name of something that was formerly known as  'Arme Ritter'.

8 Scheiben Weissbrot			8 slices white bread
1/4 l Milch				1 C. milk
3 Eier					3 eggs
Paniermehl				bread crumbs
Zimt					cinnamon
Zucker					sugar
50 g Schmalz				lard (or other frying
substance)

Dazu passt ein fruchtiger Obstsalat, (he calls for a 'fruit salad' rather
than the apple slices or apple sauce)

You could use a hot fruit compote, or any fruit that was in season.

Enjoy...

Allison