SC - Roast beef w/"barbecue sauce"

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Apr 21 10:51:00 PDT 1997

Hi all,

This weekend I went to the college library and finally found that recipe I teased
y'all with.  I'm sorry but I don't have the original recipe with me but I do have
the redaction.  I got this from _Fabulous Feasts_ so I'm not sure about how good
the source documentation is.  Anyway, the dish is good.

                               A Roste
                          Beef Roast with Crisps

Ingredients:                                               Batter:

4 or more T. oil or butter                                 1 c. flour
   for searing meat

5 lbs beef roast tied with                                 1 egg
      butcher's cord

1/2 c. flour                                              1/4 t. salt

1 t. dried sweet basil, crushed                           1/2 t. baking powder

1 t. cinnamon                                             1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 t. salt                                                 2/3 c. milk
1 t. dried sweet basil
1/2 t. dried rosemary
1/4 t. thyme

1 c. dates, pits removed, cut in half

1 c. dried figs, stems removed, cut in strips

1/2 c. dried apple rings, cut in halves

2 T. brown sugar or honey

1 1/2 c. beef stock

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In Dutch oven or cast-iron pot (either having tight covers) melt the butter.
Dredge the roast with the mixture of flour, cinnamon, and salt, and thoroughly
sear in the heated butter, browning all sides.
Mix basil, rosemary, and thyme.  Mix spices with combined dates, figs, and apples.
Arrange spiced fruits around the meat.  Sprinkle sugar of drizzle honey on fruits.
Carefully pour on beef stock around edges of the pot so as to avoid "flooding"
any food surfaces.  Cover tightly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, or until tender.  Remove from oven to cool for 30
minutes.  Increase oven heat to 450 degrees.
Prepare a very thick batter by vigourously stirring all ingredients, except
parsley.  Add extra flour if necessary.
Add chopped parsley to the batter.
Pour batter over roast allowing the excess to trickle into the gravy.  Return the
meat to hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes so that coating browns nicely.
Cut the roast in its dough "jacket" (somewhat reminiscent of the modern "Beef
Wellington")
Serve the "crisps", which formed in the juices, along with the gravy and fruit.

This really is very good tasting.

Yers,

Gunthar