SC - Autocrats

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Mon Apr 21 16:32:19 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-04-21 08:23:46 EDT, Lady Aoife writes:
>
> << You know, while I agree with you in principle, I have to say that the
>  autocrat does deserve to know what you're spending and what you're spending
>  it on. >>
>
> Of course the Autocrat should be kept informed. Since the situation that I
> shared was several years ago and the Autocrat was a person that you and I
> know rather well who is known for their ability to "organize", I hope you
> unstand that my activities regarding giving her/him a menu for "approval" was
> justified.
>
> <<But i have another issue with the eels: In OUR group it is always the
>  responsibility of the cook to redact and eat privately any test-batches. So
>  if I wanted to cook eel, I'd have to go out and buy myself some first, just
>  to test the recipe. It's my duty to come to the event with a workable
>  knowledge of what I'm cooking. >>
>
> This is a noble and accurate account of what a feastocrat should do!
> Thank-you. I spend more time and personal money testing, testing, testing
> before a feast proper than I care to account for. Feast participants should
> NEVER be used as a testing ground for untried recipes Under any
> circumstances.. Since I have eaten many of Lady Aoife's wonderful and tasty
> creations, I can vouch for the veracity of this advice and am looking forward
> with anticipation to working with her at Aethelmearc's Crown Tourney! :-) The
> ability of a feastocrat to translate "Let's figure out what needs to be done"
> into "OK, crew, here's what we have to do." is one of the most important
> talents of a good feastocrat.
>
> Lord Ras

When I have autocratted, I left the feast-maker pretty much alone.  I wanted to
know what was going to be made and how much it would cost.  On one event I
was invited to the cook's home for a test feast.  The purpose was to make sure the
food "worked" and see if there were any changes that needed to be made.  I, as
autocrat, made suggestions which were concidered and used if they had merit.  I
think the secret to a good event is good communication and good will between
the people in charge.  Mind you, you don't have to like someone to work well
with them.  Being open and patient helps both parties to put together a
successful event.

As for my family, the event is rarely bad.  However, all can be ruined if the
feast is bad.  That's this families oppinion and may not be shared by others.

Linneah