SC - Beverages

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri Apr 25 07:28:43 PDT 1997

>         We haven't talked about beverages in a while,  But I was looking
> through the current Martha Stewart's Living (a true period source) and
> there is an article about Norwegian Saft or fruit drink.  It is made of
> varieties of mixed berries and soft fruit, sugar and water.  The fruit is
> cooked, strained the sugar added and then it is bottled.  When they open it
> they cut the mix with a ratio of one part saft to four parts water.  The
> family they interview make a years worth and drink it all year round.
> Thought I'd pass this on as it's a good thing.
>
> Clare

Our barony has been experimenting with drinks for a few events now.  I tried
an apple juice/cider thing that seemed to work okay.  Someone else tried a
mixed grape juice thing.

What I did was bought the Seneca Country Style frozen concentrate.  When you
mix it up, it looks like cider and tastes a lot like it (if you like your
cider pasteurized).  I cut it 1 part cider to 1 part water and added a couple
teaspoons of honey for every can of concentrate.  We boiled some cinnamon in
water to add a cinnamon flavor to it.  It needs some work -- I think we may
have diluted it just a little too much.

The grape juice we did was mix equal amounts of white and purple concentrate
then added the water plus half as much again.  Then add just a little red wine
vinegar to sour the juice (giving it a partially fermented flavor and cutting
the sickening sweetness of it).

If anyone else has ideas, I'm all ears.

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com