SC - Re: sca-cooks: viking's pies

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sun Apr 27 11:20:21 PDT 1997

Allison wrote:

> Norse Pies, from the James Prescott translation
>
> Take  cooked meat chopped very small, pine nut paste, currants, harvest
> cheese crumbled very small, a bit of sugar and a little salt.
>

> That's the entire recipe.  Is it Norse, you Vikings out there?
>

> I usually use farmer's cheese when harvest cheese is called for, but I'm
> now wondering if that's the wrong assumption.  Cheeses were made in late
> Spring, after the  calves/kids/lambs/??? were weaned, and you had some
> rennet from a calf stomach handy.  By Autumn, how much would such a
> cheese ripen?  Enough to crumble? ...

I'm not a cheese expert -- I'm sure Gideanus will have something to say
on this -- but the last time we made Norse Pies, we used Roquefort, a
more-or-less wild guess based on the words "crumbled" and "rich" (which
apparently doesn't appear in the Prescott translation).  I'm not fond of
blue cheeses, but it worked pretty well.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/