SC - Cold Dishes

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 29 10:21:55 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> Allright, I am ready to hear about it.  How period are quiche type
> dishes?  If they are period they work tremendously!

Yup, they were there...

A huge variety of custard tarts, both sweet and savory, tansies,
fricasees (these last coming more under the heading of omelette) and
actual quiches were eaten, if the recipes are to be believed.

The original quiche, it is rumored, consisted of a disk of bread dough
with a raised edge like a pizza, spread with thick cream such as
Devonshire, and baked. I have no available documentation for this just
now. I can say that this view is supported by the late James Beard, but
it's simpler to say I can't document this.

Adamantius