SC - Vegetarian dishes

Leila Mohajerin lmohajer at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 29 17:20:25 PDT 1997

Greetings and Well Wishes on Your Grand Undertaking!

While I am not a vegetarian, I have lots of friends who are, and have done
lots of cooking for them. If it is not in conflict with any theme, many
Mediterranean dishes are either without meat, or easily substituting other
stuff.  They also are usually quite nice on hot days in August.  Some
ideas (by country of origin) are:
Elizabethan England:Artichoke pie
	Beet tart
	Turnip Stuffed with apples
	Kidney Bean Tart
	spinach date fritters
	Parsnips and marigold in orange juice
Spain: 	Gazpacho-tomato and cucumber based, chilled
	 several omlettes- Tortilla de Patatas is potato based
			-Huevos a la flamenca
	sauteed artichokes
	soups (Garbanzos, or other beans)
	custards-Flan
	fruits
Portugal: Omeleta de tomate
	Pudim de pao (Bread pudding)
	Pineapple
	Caldo verde (green cabbage soup)
Italy:	Zabalione (wine custard)
 	Pasta (my sources are not definite, but believe that pasta, as in
paste or dough, did exist in ancient Roman cusine in the form of a noodle
called Laganum, usually served with a fish sauce or with a mixture of
herbs, grated cheese, and olive oil-Pesto!)
	Risotto alla milanese (a rice dish)
	Mozzarella in Carrozza
	Caponata alla Cosenza (Eggplant and vegetable Relish)
Greek:	Tiropetes _cheese-filled phyllo pastries
	Rizogalo -rice pudding

Then there is the Middle Eastern cuisine with Falafel, and many other
veggie things

One way you can please both your vegetarian and meateaters is the have a
dish that is based on rice, with several different types of toppings, one
for each type of diet.  Since you can make this is large amounts, it is
suitable for feasts.

 If the "fairly picky group" is not vegan, you do not have to avoid the
dairy products.

I realize that I also did not include any actual recipes.  If any I have
refered to interest you, please write back.  I will be happy to type them
out.

I hope that some of this will be of help.

- -Sveva

"Our cake's dough on both sides. Farewell."
			-Will Shakespeare-
			Taming of the Shrew (1594)