sca-cooks Re: End of the Feast

Beth Morris bmorris at access.digex.net
Thu Apr 10 07:26:24 PDT 1997

Philip W. Troy wrote:

> Uduido at aol.com wrote:
> > Ah, I wish it were so esy! After cooking for 200 for several days ahead and
> > all the time at an event before the feast, I have several well-meaning
> > friends that insist on saving me a portion of everything that is served at a
> > feast. When I go to the table and sit down for a change to smile and watch
> > everyone eating. I am always faced with my feast sitting in front of me.

> I think you may be failing to give credit to folks' understanding of how
> hard you have worked and how tired you are. I have had similar problems
> with well-meaning people attempting to shove my own cooking into me, but
> I have to put it in perspective of their intent. Under the
> circumstances, they usually allow the cook (who, being an artist, can
> sometimes be rude and have it labelled "eccentricity") a bit of slack.
> So, tell them the truth, as politely as you can.

I take an alternate tack and simply don't go on board at my own feasts.
Once the last course is out (or between courses if I'm organized as
usual), I circulate through the hall, visiting with friends and
accepting the frequent grunted accolades of the feeding masses and the
occasional criticism.  With no feast spot, and therefore no plate to
fill, I avoid the issue entirely.

And as you say, its not like I haven't been noshing on stuff all day!

And besides, at least in our neck of the woods (northern Atlantia, DC
metro area), feast seats are usually at a premium and therefore if I can
give mine to a paying customer....

Keilyn