sca-cooks Fatty meat

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 15:51:30 PDT 1997

<< Possible, but it seems to me equally likely that modern meat animals are
 MORE fatty.  >>

Modern breeds of cows and chickens are, indeed more fatty, however, modern
pigs are decidedly LESS fatty. Until the early part of this century pigs were
specifically raised for fattiness, as lard was essential to cooking and
preserving and was generally used to make anything we would now use vegetable
shortening or cooking oil in.

(REF: The 1975 USDA Agricultural Yearbook (That We May Eat), "Streamlining
the Hog, an Abused Individual by Ruth Steyn; pgs.133-138)