sca-cooks chocolate

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 10 16:22:58 PDT 1997

Derdriu said:

It is true that we had already visited the New World well before the end of
period; however, not that many foodstuffs were transported until well into
the
16th century (my roommate is a mesoamerican archealogist getting her PhD in
mesoamerican anthropology).  Chocolatl, for example, was brought to Italy
before then end of period and was drunk as a *very* special treat, but was
too
bitter for European tastes.  The first records of its appearance in England
were not until after 1650 -- even then it was in small quantities.

Chocalatl was made by dissolving unsweetened chocolate, including cocoa
butter, in hot water.  After period, additions of vanilla, cinnamon, sugar,
milk began being made, but in period, chocolatl was not a popular drink.
<<<<<<<<

Close, but apparently not quite right. Apparently sweetened chocolate is
in a 1631 recipe, but it is still as a drink. And I would agree that for
quite some time it was not a common or popular drink.

In 1579 cacao was being shipped to Spain as tribute.

I've snipped the following messages from this file in my SCA Rialto Files:
chocolate-msg     (27K)  3/28/97    History and description of early
chocolate.
Which can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan