sca-cooks Creativity

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Thu Apr 10 18:45:22 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << I have come up with a wonderful spiced and fruited ground
>  prok dish that I would love to serve as well as having others in mind
> waiting to
>  burst forth. >>
>
> Any creation useing period food, techniques, spicery, etc. is period. Period!
> :-)
> Period cooks combined period foods, spicery, techniques every day wihtout the
> benefit for the most part of a "cookbook". I feel that to restrict "period"
> to recipes from existing period cookbooks would be on the same caliber as
> saying a modern cook was not createing modern food if they didn't use a
> recipe from Betty Crocker.
>
> Lord Ras
I am in agreement with you.  There are many aspects of our recreation that we
"fudge" on.  Our armour is not made in adherence to known Medieval methods.
Our clothing is often made from cloth we did not make and with sewing
machines.  We don't know the tunes for most of the songs we decide are period,
yet we sing them.

I believe that, having read many recipies from Medieval sources, that I can
"fiddle" with the ingredients in much the same way that I do with my modern
recipies.  I know that Medieval cooks used certain spices in combination with
certain foods.  I also know that certain foods were combined as were certain
spices.  I believe that I can then create a dish that could possibly resemble a
period dish.  The documentation for such a dish would be in the recipies I have
found that used these combinations.

I am not interested in basing a feast on my own creations.  However, I would
like to throw in one once in a while.

Linneah