sca-cooks - subtleties

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 11 07:28:09 PDT 1997

Fiona P. wrote:

> The chinese recipe which is remarkably similar to this one (except the
> modern version uses condensed milk ... ugh) uses agar-agar as a gelling
> agent.  is this in any way "period", and would it have been known in
> Europe?  (I _adore_ this dessert, and no-one else does - too bland, they
> say ..)

Aww, whadda they know anyway? But to get to your point, I believe there
is evidence suggesting that various plants like seaweeds and Irish moss
may have been used as gelling agents by various Celtic cultures, both
prior to, and in, period. However, I don't think agar-agar, per se, made
it to Europe.

By the way, don't forget isinglass!

Adamantius