sca-cooks yeast in cooking

Fri Apr 11 10:04:45 PDT 1997

  While I can't tell you the date of the recipe (it is during the 16th
  century) it is taken from A Booke of Cookry.

Ah.

  To seeth Roches, Flounders, or Eeles.
  Make ye good broth with new yest,

If it was a yoth in the word, I'd bet upon yeast, for sure.

  Almost all the sauce for fish include yeast, which I found interesting.
  Many thanks to Katerine Rountre for her notes on yeast.  They were what I
  needed since I haven't started redacting yet.  Next question is how do you
  think the yeast was used....(what consistency)

Wow.  I have NO ideas.  I'd scoop up a tablespoon of ale barm from a bottle
of home-made  beer, and taste it.  And see how it works.  (Damn shame if I'd
have to drink the beer to get to the barm, wouldn't it be? :-)

	Tibor