sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Apr 13 17:54:51 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Genevieve wrote:

>I know this is off subject, but if tyramine is the culprit, I have more
>bad news for you.  Onions, garlic, tumeric, oregano, and other pungent
>spices, as well as chocolate, and all citrus fruits are going to bother
>you too.  Not to mention aged cheeses.  If this is the source of the
>problem, you should seriously look into a headache clinic.  There are
>several reputable clinics across the nation.  Check into a resource
>called The Migrane Report (or something like that).  They have some
>wonderful alternatives.  Another thing to consider is allergy remedies.
>A good allergist can make your life soooooooooooo much easier to deal
>with.  Not to mention biofeedback and ice massages.  Give it a try and
>RELAXXXX!!!!!!!!!

Been there, done that.  People who respond to tyramine rarely respond to
all foods containing it.  The usual drill is to eliminate them all from
your diet, then reintroduce them one at a time.  If it sets off migraines
for you, the effect is usually dramatic.  No rules work: each person
seems to respond differently.  (I'm lucky: the only problem turned
out to be red wine.)

If you have a serious problem, by all means, see a doctor.  All I meant
to say was that people who get migraines from wine are more likely
responding to tyramine than to sulfates, and so avoiding sulfate is
unlikely to help.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry