SC - sca-cooks sulfites - was: Farmgirls Version

David Calafrancesco David.Calafrancesco at drakkar.mhv.net
Mon Apr 14 08:01:02 PDT 1997

troy at asan.com wrote in a message to All:

 ta> From: "Philip W. Troy" <troy at asan.com>
 ta> Subject: Re: sca-cooks Farmgirls Version

 ta> Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> Substitutes? It depends upon what effect you are trying for.  For modern
> cookery, broth or orange juice or miso soups are very good and flavorful
> liquids to add.  De-sulfited wine might work as well.  Flavored vinegars
> with a little sweetener might work in some recipes.  Depending upon the
> effect, you could try one of the health food "liquid aminos" substitutes,
> some dilute Worcestshire Sauce, water, etcetera.

 ta> You just reminded me, Tibor.

 ta> I've been known, on occasion, to run out of wine (no, that's
 ta> not why!) while cooking at events. I generally substitute a
 ta> dash of vinegar (perhaps 10%). Red wine vinegar for red wine
 ta> (oh, well...) and white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
 ta> for white. I don't recommend distilled white vinegar for
 ta> much of anything in the world, except possibly for some
 ta> pickle recipes, and that, with care. I have no reason to
 ta> assume that sulfites would be added to the wine from which
 ta> vinegar is made, since they act as a preservative that would
 ta> fight the action of the bacteria that make the vinegar.

 ta> Adamantius

Last month when buying the vinegar for Sekanjabin or Persian mint drink, ok it
wasn't mint but ginger but I digress, I looked for red win vinegar and all the
samples I found stated they contained sulfites. I elected to go with the
distilled white instead solely on it's non-sulfite nature. I wasn't sure how I
would let potentially hundreds of people know at an University session day
board that the ginger drink _might_ contain sulfites and might be harmful for
someone.

Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
haraldr at drakkar.mhv.net

Dave Calafrancesco, Team OS/2
dave at drakkar.mhv.net

... They got the library at Alexandria, they're not getting mine!
- --