SC - Re: sca-cooks kingdom feast

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Apr 14 14:13:38 PDT 1997

Claricia (Ealdormere) asked:

>> Around here, we make great efforts to have enough room to allow offboard
>> people to sit at the same tables as their friends who have paid for feast.

>> So much so, that the terms offboard and onboard are seldom used here. I
>> can't remember a feast that I've been to in Ansteorra in seven years
>> where the onboard and offboard people were segregated. We have had some
>> crowded feasts though.

How do you know how much to give to each table?  How do you know that
you are feeding the people who have paid?

Often around here both site and feast tokens are given out. Usually this
means that the token is the same but that the cord that the token hangs
from is a different color. We are pretty much depending on the honesty
of the feasters, though. Afterall, that is one of the items that our
Society is supposed to be based on. At very few of our events have I
ever noticed much checking going on, although the servers may be asked
to check.

As far as serving, that depends on how the serving is set up. If the
servers are picking up the bowls to go fill with soup then they just
pick up the ones offered to them. If they are serving from a dish with
ladles then they just serve those asking. Again I think we pretty much
depend on honesty. The only place I can see problems is if you expect
to have the food portioned out by table.

Even if everyone at the table
has paid for the feast this can be a problem. I remember sitting at a
table with 14 people, all of whom had paid for the feast. Unfortunately,
they served in sets of 6. I (and the person across from me) saw the food
travel around the table and run out just before it got to us. Ok, we'll
get it from the other plate. It travelled around the table the other way
and again ran out just before getting to us. Sigh.

Stefan li Rous