SC - Re: Re[2]: sca-cooks Creativity

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:10 PDT 1997

>         IMHO, a modern cook who "normally" doesn't use recipes,
>          myself included, could feasibly cook an entire feast without
>          using recipes in period, if they have an understanding of
>          period foods, spices, ect.

I am sorry but I do not understand how someone who has never cooked with
period recipes could develop the understanding to do this. There is a
difference in looking at the ingredients and actually making the dish to
see what it tastes like. There are plenty of recipes that talk about
sauces that go with roasts and sources that discuss how fesats were put
together. Just because you can't find a recipe easily doesn't mean one
doesn't exist and certainly doesn't make a dish period because its
'creative'.

>There are many good, easily prepared, very eatable foods which are period
that can be served >at a feast without using heavy spices and such.

I agree.  And there are plenty of period recipes that you can use to
accomplish this. Just because so many people I meet think period food
must taste bad and be overly spiced doesn't mean its true.

Feasts should taste good. As far as I am concerned that goes without
saying. It is easy to prepare both a period feast and a good tasting
feast all at the same time.  I have done it many times. I have cooked 3
feasts in Ansteorra using all period recipes and have only had one dish
meet with mixed success. I just attended a feast at Crown Tourney that
had good food and period recipes (well except for the chocolate truffles)
and it was well received.

I have seen many feasts which list foods that I can get at the local
diner or barbeque place. This does not enhance my enjoyment of the SCA
nor does it teach folks anything about the middle ages.  I always assume
this is simply due to a lack of experience and now teach period cooking
classes whenever possible to help give people alternatives.

Clarissa