SC - Re: sca-cooks Creativity

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Apr 14 23:07:11 PDT 1997

>Period cooks combined period foods, spicery, techniques every day wihtout the
>benefit for the most part of a "cookbook".

An admirable sentiment and correct of course. However, cooks in period
had benefit of long training and experience with their kind of food just
as we have the same kind of experience (simply by eating it everyday) in
modern dishes. For medieval dishes we do not have anything like the
lifetime experience with period foods and how they taste and were
prepared.  If someone who has been cooking with period recipes a long
time goes creative with a dish that is one thing. However, I see the
excuse of not all recipes being written down to condone all sorts of
dishes that definitely are not period. And, in my experience, its most
often the inexperience cook (at least medievally) that uses this excuse.
Its one thing to say I choose a pork recipe but use beef instead because
its all I had. Its another to say I took some beef and spices and made a
period dish but I cannot show a recipe with similiar ingredients.

Clarissa