SC - Milk and Pepper

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Tue Apr 15 20:11:25 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << I know that I (personnally) would not like the taste of
>  >>pepper in my milk, for example. >>
>
> Not really period, I don't think, but milk toast is toast soked in hot milk
> which is seasoned with salt, PEPPER, and butter.
>
> Also ice cold butter milk with a dash of salt and pepper...and peas with milk
> are seasoned with pepper and salt.....etc.
>
> Proving that on occasion PEPPER and MILK can be a wonderful combination
> afterall! :-)
>
> Lord Ras

Good gentles,

With all the brilliant minds with whom I communicate on this list, I find that I
must watch my words and phrasing very carefully.  What I intended to say was
that I would not like to put black pepper in my skim milk which I like to drink
when I eat my cookies.  Putting pepper into a COMBINATION of ingredients that
include milk or milk products is a fine idea and I do it often.  I had origionally
toyed with the idea of saying "I tell my kids that I don't put ketchup on my peas
like they do because I know what it would taste like and, personnally, wouldn't
care for it."  However, I knew that this would leave me open for just the sort of
discussion I received about the pepper/milk comment so I thought I found a
safer route.  Silly me.

I am still a firm believer that, with experience and study, a person could create
a dish "in the Medieval style" and that it would be all right to serve this dish at a
feast.  I am not saying that I have that experience and ability, but there are
many out there who may.

I do want to cook, serve and eat redacted dishes at a feast.  I will never forget
once being served lasagna, though I know that the kitchen staff was busy with
other things that day.

Carefully yours,
Linneah