SC - Outdoor feasts

Robin Hackett robin.hackett at wadsworth.org
Wed Apr 16 11:25:14 PDT 1997

Sir Gunthar wrote:

>There's an early period outdoor feast that I've been thinking of where all the
>food is cooked either in the ashes (tubers, clay wrapped meat) and in a big
>kettle (meat and vegetables are boiled in the cauldron, the solids are
>lifted >out for one course and a pottage is made from the broth for
>another.

Outdoor feasts are alot of fun! :) Last year at the Gilded Pearl event in
Sterlynge Vale a few of us ran a tavern for lunch and for the experience of
doing so. We started early in the morning making bread and cutting up 25
lbs of onions for the sops. We spitted chickens and made a lombard beef
bruet plus a fried beans & onions recipe from "700 years of English
cooking". With premade pasties and fruit and cheese we were able to offer a
good variety of food. The tavern was open for roughly three hours and each
dish could serve ~50 people. When a dish ran out, it was taken "off the
board". I wasn't in charge of drinks so all I remember is ginger drink and
some sort of cider. It made me appreciate indoor kitchens when it started
to rain!

Leri

robin.hackett at wadsworth.org