SC - Message not deliverable

Administrator administ at macom.com
Wed Apr 16 19:52:13 PDT 1997

About authentic scottish food:

I forgot to mention several factors that occured to me later, after my
initial reply to Clarissa.

         First, wild large game existed far longer in the Highlands than it
did elsewhere in the country, where it was hunted out by late period. Thus
the famous "Red Deare" still existed in Scotland long after the English were
faking "red Deare" recipes with beef and veal. In addition, wild Boar still
was in good supply, and would have been available to the moderatly wealthy Scot.

        Next is the weather factor. It was relatively rare to find some of
the slow-producing fruits in Scotland outside Monastary or Nobility's walls,
since the weather rarely warmed up long enough to bring them to ripeness.
Thus peaches were probably not eaten, or softer or less cold hardy varieties
of Pears, Berries, or Apples. I did find a referance to grapes from a
Monastary Garden, being noted because of their uniqueness to Scottish
Cuisine. Quick crops such as greens and herbs were plentiful, however.

        Last, the Highland/Island Scotts were great fishermen and were
famous for saving the best of the catch for themselves.

Hope that helps.

Aoife.
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
    ---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957