SC - Feast themes

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 17 06:16:41 PDT 1997

Cossette wrote:

> I would like to know
> what kind of "Theme feast" you good folks on the list have always wanted to do.
>  My goal is to discover if anyone on the list has actually done anyone else's
> Theme Feast,  if  so,  How did it turn out. What were the mistakes and what
> worked really well.

1. I'd like to do a maritime feast for an event centered on the
Hanseatic League, probably in Lent. This would have to be for a group
that will tolerate fish, naturally. Luckily for me, where I live people
generally complain if there ISN'T at least one fish dish at a feast.
Recently I did two, just to be sure.

2. How about a feast for Vlad Tepes' marketplace? Alternate courses of
Transylvanian and Turkish dishes...the temptation to serve everything on
skewers would have to be resisted, of course...somewhat.

3. Another Apician feast would be nice. I did one 11 years ago and it
went over well, but I like to think I've gotten better at this game
since then, and would like to do a better job this time.

4. Still recovering from The Celtic Feast from Hell, what I like to
think of as Oat Cuisine (AR! AR! AR!) We did a sort of tasting menu,
with about twenty dishes in four courses, in small portions. I was
impressed by the fact that folks continued to eat, quite happily, it
seemed, for over four hours without any signs of restlessness. Hard
work, because labor-intensive, but it was a nice change from my usual
nine-dishes-in-a-triclinium feast.

Adamantius