SC - Guinea pigs

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 17 06:26:28 PDT 1997

ND Wederstrandt wrote:

> There was a recent special on PBS about how the Aztecs and Mayans made
> stone walls.  During the show, the narrator stopped for lunch and this
> Peruvian woman handed him guinea pig on a spit.  They included scenes of
> her cleaning and roasting said rodent over a small wood fire.  The woman
> with the narrator had never eaten it but the man was busy chomping down.
> The animal is cleaned skinned and stretched out over sticks and grilled.
> Pretty interesting.  Also those cute little Chiquaquas dogs (sorry about
> the spelling) were originally raised for food.
>
> Clare

Chihuahuas as we know them are the product of centuries of selective
breeding. Luckily part of the breeding process was to get them to a
managable size, apparently. They used to be much larger. The possibility
of a dog as vicious as some Chihuahuas can be, but weighing eighty
pounds or so is a pretty scary one, ain't it?

Adamantius