SC - Re: sca-cooks hot and cold

Thu Apr 17 10:53:32 PDT 1997

  > Mar-Joshua answered:
  >   I believe Mark was thinking of "hot" and "cold" in humour, rather than
  >   temperature or flavor.
  > Indeed.  It was a trap, and Fyrean sprang it.  Sorry, Fyrean, but I couldn't
  > resist.

  :) Bother.  I'm a sucker.  I might have known ... can't trust these pesky
  Northern Hemisphere lot ... *chuckle* I showed up my ignorance good and
  proper, didn't I??!

My abject apologies.

But that was *EXACTLY* my point.  There are all sorts of things that a
period person would know, that you or I might not yet know.  How can we
create a period recipe when we don't know those things?

Worse, how can we even tell what they might have believed?  Humoural theory
was a fad... and so forth.  When, exactly, was it given credence, and when
was it not?

  > And so forth.  That is a LOT of knowledge for us to have: but not a lot of
  > new knowledge for a period cook to have.

  I still think it's possible to learn this information in the same way
  that the period cook had to learn it.  Although maybe, in most of our
  cases, at a slightly older age.  Now, I wonder what would happen if
  those who had children brought them up cooking in a "mediaeval"
  style, with little or no 20th influence (if that were possible).
  What could the result be?

Indeed.  But what else don't we know that the knew?  What did they think
that we don't?  It's hard to say.

The idea of "raising children" might be harder than you think.  How many
children of vegetarians crave McDonald's burgers?  You cannot insulate
people in this time of civilization.

	Tibor