SC - Re: swans

Gary Stephens garys at headwaters.com
Fri Apr 18 04:56:06 PDT 1997

Sianan said:

>>   For the Investiture feast of Alaric and Nerissa as P&P of Lochac last
>>September we served swan to the high table.  It's incredibly period and
>>it's interesting to try and get it to look right.

        You might want to be careful about doing this another time, as
black swans are on the endangered species list.

And then Stefan wrote:

>For instance, eel. Eel was
>raised similarly to the way we raise catfish today. Eel were raised
>in many mill ponds and such.

        I don't know about where you are, but here eel is readily available
in our local grocers. You might want to try a speciality fish shop.

>Venison is another. The SCA feasts are about the only place I've had
>it and then whether we have it is very dependant upon how lucky our
>local baronial hunters are.

        Here in Ontario there are many deer farms on which deer, elk and
that ilk are raised specifically for the restaurant meat market. I'd
suggest you contact your local agricultural department to find out if there
are any such farms in your area.

>Where would you get peacock?

        Alas I'm not entirely sure on this one, but you might want to start
with the same agricultural department for clues.

Leonora

Gary/Lorina J. Stephens
photographer/author of _Touring the Giant's Rib_ & _Credit River Valley_
http://web.idirect.com/~canuck/stephens/stephen.html
garys at headwaters.com