SC - Period Viking Food = Norse Pies???

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Fri Apr 18 20:39:18 PDT 1997

Adamantius,

>>So, technically, they are not especially Viking, unless they are really
from Norway and survived a couple of centuries virtually unchanged, to be
found alive and well in France. COULD be true, but...<<

I'm reading the very interesting story of the Hanseatic League.  Norway
exported a large amount of fish, and had, at different time, monopolies
on some of the salt fish.  If the pies were originally a method of using
the salt cod and herring for fish days, they could have taken the name
from the source of the ingredients, having nothing to do with Vikings.
The use of dried and salted fish was so prevalent, directions for getting
it ready to use in a recipe might well have been left out.

 Alternatively, the receipt may have originated with the Norsemen in
Normandy.  sounds like an easy food for traveling--just stick a few in
your wallet and eat as desired.

>> Generally I'm a little leary of  taking up the bandwidth with
recipes<<

But are you 'taking it up' if that's what a lot of people on the list
want?  I do understand that you may not write down your recipes, to the
1/4 t. etc.  I do a lot of 'composing' as I'm cooking, too--it needs
another dash of this and pinch of that--

Allison