SC - Autocrats

Tom Brady tabrady at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 19 07:14:28 PDT 1997

At 09:31 AM 4/19/97 -0400, Ras wrote:
>In a message dated 97-04-18 12:54:07 EDT, Katerine Rountree wrote:
>
><<  If you're going to serve it at all, it
> seems to me one should go for a typical recipe.)  As I recall, they didn't
> have enough to test it beforehand with eel -- another thing I would do
> differently.  But these were largely the autocrat's decisions, not the
> cook's.
>  >>

>What shire are you in that the Autocrat would would even presume to interfere
>in the Feastocrat's job? And how could a shire allow such a sad state of
>affairs to continue?

This took place in a certain barony in Atlantia which shall go unnamed. The
autocrat's interference was acceded to by the head cook, but it is worthy of
note that no such situation has occurred again there in the five or six
years since this event. I think Ras has a good point, though - that old
adage about "too many cooks..." is especially applicable when magnified by a
couple hundred diners. I would encourage anyone who is cooking the feast to
insist on autonomy in feast matters, else you'll be in for a world of grief.

- -Duncan
Tom Brady             tabrady at mindspring.com          SCA: Duncan MacKinnon
  See my web pages at http://www.technomancer.com/~duncan/ for pointers
       for the Society for Creative Anachronism and gay & lesbian links