SC -buffalo

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 21 05:54:05 PDT 1997

Thought I'd add to the buffalo comments.

One of the professors in my department at work (Zoology at UTexas) raises
buffalo as a tax break on his land.  Recently he had to reduce his herd, he
found that he couldn't just up and shoot it and sell the meat, he had to
hire a meat inspector to come out and certify that the buffalo is disease
free and edible.  It cost close to $200.00.  Then he had to have a special
pen built to house the buffalo in order to shoot it and the processor would
need $45.00 to process the meat.
If he shot the buffalo without all this, he could only give away the meat.
One buffalo(small) is over 400 pounds of usable meat.  Some of us at work
offered to donate some money to defray the cost but luckily he found
someone who wanted the calf alive.

Clare