SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #71

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:27:05 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Aoife cited a menu from May, on the subject of whether
fish was eaten on meat days.  The difficulty is that Robert May is late 17th
century (1685).  By that time, there have been a long list of changes
(including, for instance, that England was no longer a Catholic country,
and did not observe even Lenten abstinence, to the best of my recollection).
What May documents is early Modern cuisine, not even Renaissance, and
certainly not medieval.

I've already said I'm not familiar with the testimony of 16th C menus;
but frankly, I don't think late 17th C ones are even relevant.  Too
much had changed.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry