SC - posting sources

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 24 14:47:29 PDT 1997

On Tuesday April 22, Adamantius posted:

Personally, I am always more interested in an original source recipe
than in someone's redaction. Much as I value the work of others, I would
rather enjoy their cooking at a feast
than be expected to mimic their style when cooking my own. I don't even
pay too much attention to redactions I have done previously, preferring
to start from scratch each time from the original recipe.
<<<<<<<<<<

I, on the otherhand as a beginning cook, appreciate having the redactions.
Working from the period source, even a translation, is still quite
difficult for me. I do however prefer to see the original. Sometimes I
need to make a substitution because I can't find that particular cut of
meat mentioned in the redaction. Even I can sometimes get an idea from
the original what might or might not be a good substitution.

Also, since most of these recipes are going to find their way into my
SCA Rialto Files it is nice to have the original recipe to add some
extra validity to the comment that it is a period recipe. But please
do not hold off posting a recipe because you don't have the original.

Admantius' comments do make me wonder if anyone here has redacted a
recipe, cooked it and then put the redaction aside for a year or
two and then redacted the recipe again from the original recipe. Did
you find that the two redactions varied? substantially? Was this
because of specific things you learned in the intervening time? Or
just a normal variation between how you successively cook something?

Stefan li Rous