Re(2): SC - Intollerances

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Apr 29 07:12:55 PDT 1997

> While we've all been on the subject of allergies, no one has yet to mention
> lactose intollerance.  I know it's not life threatening, but it sure can
make me
> wish I was dead.  I don't usually ask the cook not to use lactose-containing

> products, I just try to remember to take my pills.  If I don't, you won't
see me for
> several hours as I moan and groan over my mistake.  I do love that 'cheese
goo',
> though.
>
> As for allergies, it is wonderful if a cook can take the time and effort to
> accommodate those with allergies, but in the end it is up to the individual.

> However, if the cook says s/he will make the effort, let's hope they don't
forget
> and kill someone (as per Annejke's garlic story).
>
> By the way, Annejke, the ODU demo was great!  Had lots of people there.  Are
you
> going to Emerald?
>
> Linneah

And it's surprising how many things can slip by.  People look at me strangely
when I take my pills, even for dishes they don't consider dairy (like
spaghetti sauce, mashed potatoes, etc.).  If it has milk, butter, cheese,
yogurt, cream, etc., someone who is dairy sensitive or intolerant needs to be
warned.  While most people don't have life-threatening reactions, being
doubled-over in pain when you wanted to have fun is no fun.

Derdriu

P.S. Linneah, ask you doctor about fillers for pills.  I have been doing some
research and two fillers that are often used are gluten and lactose.
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com