Re(2): Spice Use and Food Poisoning, etc.

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Apr 9 12:19:16 PDT 1997

It's hard to say just how much some spices were reduced in potency from
today's.  I know it is true, simply because we have so hybridized
*everything* to get the exact taste we require -- especially here in the
States (Mexicans hate the taste of our corn -- they think it has no flavor
except sweet, which is what we want).

Another big question is just what flavor changes have we experienced as a
result of our botanical tempering? And, while we have spices and plants of the
same name today as they did then, which ones are different? Are there any
beyond Cinnamon/cassia and Cinnamon/ceylon, which, while sharing a name, are
quite different in flavor?

Derdriu