intro

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Apr 9 12:17:48 PDT 1997

> On the nomenclature issue, how about "chef" or "head cook"?  The fact
> that these terms are comprehensible to modern ears doesn't ENTIRELY
> disqualify them from SCA use :-)

I don't think it disqualifies them from SCA use but it depends upon the way it is
used.  I have concerns over "chef" for two reasons.  First it implies a mundane
ranking and second it could make things confusing for the listener.  Saying "I
have been a chef many times." could imply either that a person has "feastocratted"
several events or been the "chef de cuisine" for a nice mundane restaurant.
Another aspect of confusion would be my original post.  Imagine the way it would
have been interpeted if I had said "go study under a chef for a while."  Meaning
feastocrat.

I prefer "Head Cook" but I'm not thrilled with that either.  The phrase "...and
bottle washer." always runs through my head when I hear it.

I may not like "feastocrat" but at least we know what we are talking about.

> And if we're talking nomenclature (I know this is going to come up
> sooner or later, so let's get it out of the way), the word is "course".
> Not "remove", but "course".  The earliest OED citation of "remove" meaning
> a course in a meal is due to Benjamin Franklin.

Thank you, I was going to mention this myself.

> 					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
>                                                  Stephen Bloch
>                                            sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu

Yers,