vegetarian dishes

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 9 16:58:01 PDT 1997

Rowanne asks:

>BTW, I am looking for some good period vegetarian dishes from Brittain,
>anyone know any besides spinach and mushrooms?

Many medieval cookbooks have substitutions given for vegetarians. Why?
Because of Lent and other religous days when meat was restricted.

Even for those that don't specifically give substitutions, once you
learn the common ones, you should be able to adapt other dishes. For
instance, almond milk instead of milk.

There is some information and sources given in this file:
vegetarian-msg    (18K)  3/18/97    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.
This is in the FOOD section at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com