[ck] medieval gardening book

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 10 01:56:38 PDT 1997

_The Medieval Garden_, by Sylvia Landsberg, Thames & Hudson, 1995.  ISBN
0-500-01691-7.  Thames & Hudson, Inc. 500 Fifth Avenue, NY 10110.

Just picked this up at the library today.  The author has designed
several 12th to 16th C. gardens, including one at Shrewsbury Quest for
the fictional Brother Cadfael and one in Winchester called Queen
Eleanor's Garden.  Contains lists of plants from period works, photos of
present day gardens, reproductions of garden plans, 14th & 15th C.
paintings which include gardens, labors of the month paintings, lots of
good illustrations.  Have not seen some of the reproductions before; they
are of interest to the costumer, as well.  This is nice to browse through
even if you are not a gardener, as I am not, but wonderful, if like
Susannah, you are planning to have a medieval garden of your own.
There's a photo that contains a yellow flowered woad plant in bloom, too.
 Peasants' gardens, Ladies' pleasaunce, orchards, all kinds of gardens,
here.

This also has suggestions for your own garden, vine arbor, rose trellis,
and much more.  This is a nice book. Tremendous Bibliography.  Happy
reading.

Allison

PS
This is the post I sent several other lists--some have already seen it
and liked it as much as I do.  There's really far more than I first
mentioned.