sca-cooks Re(2): Children in the Kitchen

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Apr 10 07:37:14 PDT 1997

>      At the only feast where I was incharge a friend of mine brought his
>      child to me saying he was being punished and that I needed to work
>      him(wink) to the death. Well first I put him to cutting onions because
>      he said he was good with a knife and the person that was already
>      cutting onions showed him how I wanted them done and he did a good
>      job.

I'm not sure about the chopping/cutting of anything without parents present
(or parental permission for older kids).  I was at one feast where I took
charge of the kids who volunteered because the Person In Charge Of Feed All Of
Us was too busy to figure out what they could do.  They did wonderfully
rolling dough, putting it pans, and indeed washing dishes.

>I then showed him to the dishes and he did that for a very long
>      time because as he washed dishes kept right on coming.  He only had
>      one incident where he back talked one of the lady's of the shire.  I
>      told him to apolagise and he did after I picked him up by his shirt to
>      show him that he had crossed the line of fun and introuble.  After
>      that he didn't even ask he just worked and stayed after feast to help
>      with clean up.

Well, this is one way we can teach them SCA customs.  I'm glad they helped
clean up -- I usually lose them to evening dance and parents leaving.

>         I think that kids ages 10 and up can help out wonderfully if
>      someone is their with them. Also as a hint if you have servers who are
>      young make sure they can carry a piture of water it will save you a
>      lot of grief.
>

>                                 Lord Owen ap Aeddan
>                                 Mooneschadowe kitcheners guild
>                                 Ansteorra

We haven't been using too many servers (we've been asking for volunteers), but
I'll definitely add that to my list.

Thank you.

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/